“WHERE Gordon-avenue begins its long, straight journey down to the foothills of Glebe, there are islands of grass in its middle, and stubby palms, with two sandstone pillars announcing the “Garden Suburb.” The pillars were placed there in 1914 by the Australian Agricultural Company. Mr. H. A. Phillips, who lives near-by, said the company once had a coal line in the avenue. It ran from the Great Northern Railway line and, at Tudor-street, swung round behind the site of the ambulance station, where it met up with the lines to Glebe Pit and the city waterfront. In those days, around 1911-12, Tudor-street was “not of much ac-count” and Denison-street was the main road through Hamilton. “It was all scrub, over towards Merewether, until they shifted the racecourse from Hamilton South to Broadmeadow,” he said. “There was plenty of space for allotments, then. Now, there’s none at all.” Mr. Phillips pointed out from his verandah to a tall building which pokes its head up over the houses. “Wood Brothers built that place as a brewery, but they didn’t use it.” he said. “There was never a bottle of beer in it.” In the current phase of its beerless history, the brewery is Wood-street branch of the Newcastle Technical College.
— Newcastle Morning Herald, Sat. 1 Mar, 1947.
A proposal has been made that the two stone pillars at the Tudor-street section of Gordon-avenue, Hamilton, should bo removed. The pillars were erected by the
Australian Agricultural Company in 1914, and it was then proposed to erect another pair at the Glebe end of the avenue. That part of the scheme, however, was not carried out. Recently a deputation from Hamilton Council discussed with the company’s superintendent, Mr. Henry, the question of removing the pillars. The company, it was said, would offer no objection to the removal, one pillar to the centre of Gordon-avenue on the northern side of Tudor-street, and the other to the centre of the intersection at Glebe-road. Before anything is done, however, the council will call for an estimate of cost, and that, it is thought, will be a bar to the scheme.
—Newcastle Sun (NSW : 1918 – 1954), Friday 28 September 1928, page 6
Research by Matthew Ward
© Matthew Ward, 2017
In the last few years there have been thousands of posts to Lost Newcastle. There are new topics every day, but there are some popular topics that are brought up again and again. Here are some of those popular posts and links if available.
- FINANCE :
- Dinny’s Pawnbroker, Hunter St, 1960s – ’90s
- FOOD & BEVERAGES :
- Niagara Cafe, Hunter St, also Beaumont St Hamilton
- K.F.C. (a.k.a. Kentucky Fried Chicken), cnr. Hunter & Brown Sts; cnr King & Burwood Sts
- Crazy Horse (a.k.a. Rumours, Leroy’s, Mercury)
- Gunfighter’s Rest, Hunter St
- Newcastle Workers Club
- Great Northern Hotel, Scott St
- Star Hotel, Hunter / King Sts (including Star Hotel Riot)
- Milk, free bottles of at school, 1970s
- Darby Pies, 1970s – ’80s
- NATURAL EVENTS :
- Earthquake, 1989
- Pasha Bulker ship, Nobbys Beach
- RECREATION :
- King Edward Park
- Municipal Baths (indoor pool), Newcomen St, early 20th century
- Fred C. Ash building, Hunter St
- Frederick Ash building (“New”), warehouse, Burwood St)
The Lost Newcastle Facebook page is here…
Last Word in Hotel Service and Comfort
NEW GREAT NORTHERN IS REVELATION
Rebuilt after 70 years Rebuilt after 70 years without the sparing of expense, the Great Northern Hotel, on the corner of Scott and Watt streets, Newcastle, may be regarded as being in the front rank of Australia’s best hotels. Dignified in design, and with appointments emphasising solid comfort and beauty of finish, the hotel immediately impresses the visitor by its perfect layout and facilities which it offers.
The first impression of the beautiful interiors is gained when the visitor walks into the spacious foyer from the Scott-street entrance, an impression which Is strengthened when the reception office, elevators and Service Bureau are approached. Inviting settees and lounge chairs make the foyer an attractive rendezvous.
A feature of the foyer Is the carpets, which are also to be found in all the public rooms and the bedrooms.
Opening from the foyer is a lounge room with service from the saloon bar. The dining-room, reception room, the main lounge and the kitchens are on the first floor.
The dining-room itself is most attractive, with its high ceilings and old ivory colored walls, with the beautiful frieze and heavy drapings. Cosy chairs and tables furnish the lounge, where drinks, teas and suppers are served. The reception room has a sprung floor, and is most popular for dinner dances. All these rooms are conveniently placed to the kitchens, which are the last word In utility and equipment.
The second, third and fourth floors are planned with external recessed light areas, so that all bedrooms and lounges open to the outside air.
These floors contain 52 single and 24 double bedrooms, 24 of which have their own private bathrooms and toilets, while three rooms form self-contained suites. There is plenty of bathroom accommodation on all the floors.
The fifth floor has a large roof area, with a smaller one on the sixth floor. From these vantage points, vast panoramic views of the ocean and harbor are seen. Facilities for commercial travellers are provided amply, in that five sample rooms are provided, with appointments which facilitate the effective display of samples.
The magnitude of the construction work in connection with the hotel is shown in the quantities of materials used during the period that elapsed since the old hotel was demolished in 1936. Details are: —
Excavated soil, 2400 cubic yards; concrete, 1900 cubic yards; steel, 120 tons: suspended awning, 211 feet; flat roof area, 180 super yards; bricks, 100.000; plastering and cement rendering. 18,398 super yards. Tiling: Floors, 700 super yards; walls, 1894 super yards. Capping: Angles and bands, 4905 lin. feet; painting, 19,396 square yards; glazing, 9000 square feet; timber firring to false ceiling of coffee room, dining-room, and foyer, 2140 super feet: floor area, 25,000 square feet; floor bearers and joists, 3300 super feet.
The hotel’s service bureau is proving to be very popular. It is adjacent to the lift, and visitors may obtain there any local information they desire, and a shopping service is instituted and for the convenience of guests who suddenly find that they require something, the bureau is at their service.
The buffet, or ‘Aboriginal Room’ is interesting. The walls and ceilings are faithful reproductions of aboriginal rock drawings. A special licence enables the hotel to serve liquor with meals until 9 p.m. A special ‘between meals’ service is arranged.
In planning the Great Northern Hotel, consideration was given to all the facilities that a modern hotel should provide.
A lounge-room with service from saloon bar, a writing-room, telephone booths, letter posting facilities, porter’s luggage-room and men and women’s toilets also enter on to, or are easily accessible from, the entrance vestibule.
The saloon bar, having direct access from Watt-street, is also accessible from the entrance vestibule in Scott street, and the buffet, for quick service of meals, entered off Scott-street, is also connected to the main entrance vestibule.
The public bar, bottle department, and public lavatories are situated at the corner of Scott and Watt streets, but are not accessible from the main hotel, except by staff. Men and women’s cloak-rooms and lavatories are entered from the stair landing and crush space, and a large kitchen, fitted with every modern convenience, having stainless steel cooking equipment of the latest and most hygienic type, and fitted with powerful ventilated, and an electric servery lift from this kitchen feeds a smaller servery kitchen on the ground floor at the rear of the buffet. Housemaids’ pantries are provided on each floor for the convenient service of morning teas, and on the third floor, an ironing and drying-room is provided for the convenience of women guests.
The cellar is provided under the bar section for the cool storage of drinks, and a large refrigerating plant is provided so that all drinks can be served at a desirable temperature. Adjacent to the goods lift and back servery stair is a second smaller cellar containing hot water boiler, fitted with automatic stoker, and a second boiler to provide steam for the heating units placed throughout the hotel. Connecting passage is provided between these two cellars, so that the bar staff can gain access to the service stairs and their lounge-rooms without crossing the main vestibule and public spaces. The exterior of the hotel Is faced with terra-cotta up to the underside of awning, and the remainder with semi-glazed textured bricks. Many Cooperate Many firms cooperated in making the Great Northern Hotel the fine structure it is, no small part being played by the Newcastle Gas and Coke Co., Ltd. This well-known firm, in addition to Installing a heavy duty cooking range, griller and toaster, a Jackson water heating appliance and gas coppers for the laundry, provided a special clothes drying room, the first installation of its kind in Newcastle. The equipment of the ‘Unitair’ Laundry Dryer consists of: An insulated drying room,
A series of sliding clothes’ racks with ample line space. A gas-heating unit, fitted with a safety pilot control, and an automatic fan to keep the air In rapid circulation. This laundry dryer is the first installation of its kind in Newcastle and it is claimed that within five minutes of their entry into the drying chamber, light clothes will be ready to iron. Other advantages of this dryer are: The protection of the clothes from dust and smuts and the prevention of tearing by the wind. The dryer obviates the necessity for large drying areas and enables drying work to be carried out satisfactorily under all weather conditions. It saves building space and building costs. John Bridge and Co., Newcastle water installation engineers and plumbers, were responsible for the whole of the installation of water, steam heating in the kitchens, and hot water supply for the hotel. Malleys, Ltd., engineers, of Mountain-street, Sydney, designed, manufactured and installed the kitchen equipment, including the stainless steel and porcelain enamel units. Northern Chromium and Electro-Plating Co., of King-street. Newcastle, who specialise in chromium, nickel, copper-oxidising, silver and the like have many beautiful samples of their art in all parts of the hotel. Bricks were supplied by the Waterloo Brick Co., whose works are at Thornton, the cement by Stevenson’s Ltd., of Mayfield, timber by Andrew Cook and Sons, and sand and metal carting by H. H. Chadwick. Other firms who assisted were H. and E. Sidgreaves, shop and shop front fitters, of Sydney, Tylers Ltd., of Sydney, bath and toilet accessories, and Mauri Bros, and Thompson refrigeration.
—The Newcastle Sun, 10 Feb. 1938
Research by Matthew Ward
Somewhere beneath the King Street carpark behind Market Square (and before it, The Strand) may be the remnants of an old cottage called NUNEHAM and a 100 year old Candle Nut Tree with an interesting provenance. Here is a photo from a Sun article, 11/1/1954. The article is reproduced below:
Candle Nut Tree More Than 100 Years Old
The origin of the rare Candle Nut tree growing in the area behind the Strand Theatre is no longer a mystery.
Following an article in ‘The Newcastle Sun’ last week, which described the origin of the tree as ‘unknown,’ but hazarded the guess that it might have been brought here by a seaman from abroad, a Newcastle woman, whose family associations with Newcastle date back more than a hundred years, has produced documentary evidence concerning the tree’s background.
The woman, who prefers to remain anonymous, says the tree was planted by her uncle, the late Alfred Richardson, in the garden of her grandfather’s home more than a century ago.
In Tree’s Youth
The picture reproduced here shows that home and the tree (marked with a cross) when it was only 7ft. high. Standing in the gateway are Mr. and Mrs. Martin Richardson (the woman’s grandparents) and her mother as a child of five.
The house, called Nuneham Cottage after her great-grandfather’s home, “Nuneham Courtney,” near Oxford in England — now a museum — faced Laing-st. and was built on one of the first areas of land reserved for residential development.
The Richardson property and two adjoining allotments were compulsorily acquired by Newcastle Council as a site for a major electricity project, but only a small part of the area was used for a substation.
From South Seas
Nuneham Cottage was pulled down, as well as the Bluebell Hotel on the ad-joining Hudson property.
The candle nut tree was brought to Newcastle from Queensland, but is believed to have come originally from one of the South Sea islands. It was known to the Richardsons as the “kui’kui tree” and was believed to be the only one of its kind in Australia.
Commenting on the suggestion that the land might be used as a site for a parking station, the woman said: “This would be a gross misuse of the area. It is an ideal location for a small city park and should be retained for that purpose.’
– Newcastle Sun. 11/1/1954
And here is a photo of a substation on the land (mentioned in the above article). NCC Photobank, no date.
Research © Matthew Ward, 2016
• • •
The Newcastle Sun, 11/3/1940, p.2 :
CRAFTSMEN ENGAGED ON BUILDING
The services of many different types of craftsmen were required to construct and fit the new flats at the corner of Watt and King Streets, and their combined efforts have produced an attractive and handsome addition to the city buildings.
The builder was W. Stronach, of Beaumont-street, Hamilton, and the structure provides another example in the city of his effective work. James Mullan Pty., Ltd. of Clyde-street, Hamilton, supplied the comprehensive amount of structural steel and steel reinforcements embodied in the building.
John C. W. Bridge and Co. (Newcastle) Pty., Ltd. of Macquarie-street, Mayfield, were responsible for the modern hot water and heating systems installed. The same firm also fitted the steel handrailing and the sanitary, plumbing and water services.
The flats are serviced throughout with the latest electric appliances and services and the electrical installation was in the hands of Uhrig and Allan, of Beaumont-street, Hamilton. The striking tallow wood flooring was supplied by Earp. Woodcock, Beveridge and Co. Pty., Ltd., of Carrington.
The large amount of lime and cement work required for the construction was handled by the Newcastle Lime and Cement Co. Pty., Ltd., of Hunter-street West. The handsome terrazzo work in the building was also the work of this company.
Rich and Co. Pty., Ltd. of Samdon-street, Hamilton, supplied the fibrous plaster ceilings and cornices with which the building is attractively equipped.
All glazing and electric light fittings, which add greatly to the appearance of the building, were supplied by James Werring and Co. Pty., Ltd. of Hunter-street, Wickham.
In a structure of this size an extensive amount of joinery work is entailed. The contract was assigned to A. L. Peterson, of Parry-street, Newcastle.
The managing and letting agents for the new flats are Creer and Berkeley, auctioneers, etc., of Wolfe-street, Newcastle.
Timbers used in the construction of Athcourt Flats were supplied by F. Viggers, of Union-street, Cook’s Hill. The firm specialises in seasoned constructional timbers.
— The Newcastle Sun, 11/3/1940, p.2
• • •
The Newcastle Sun, 11/3/1940, p.2:
NEW FLATS CHANGE CITY’S SKY-LINE
ATHCOURT FLATS NEAR COMPLETION
COMFORT IS THE KEYNOTE
Newcastle’s sky-line is changing. The erection of modern flat-buildings in the eastern part of the city has given many of the streets a modified sky-scraper look very different from the Newcastle of a few years back. A worthy addition to these buildings is Athcourt Flats, at the corner of Watt and King-streets.
THE new flats are expected to be ready by the end of the month. They have been erected for the Ath-court Proprietary Limited by Mr. W. Stronach, builder, of Hamilton, at a cost of approximately £40,000.
There are six floors, containing 20 flats — four on each of the floors above the ground floor — and four suites of offices on the ground floor. The exterior of the building, which looks imposing from the street, has been carried out in dark-faced bricks.
The spacious portico to the building is floored in terrazzo, with two plate-glass doors leading into the vestibule. Letter-boxes for tenants are located In the portico.
The vestibule itself carries over a decor note from the exterior of the building. A striking feature is a seven-foot dado of dark “header” bricks, similar to those used on the outside of the building. Directly facing the main entrance Is the automatic electric lift, which services every floor.
At one side of the lift entrance is a tobacconist’s kiosk.
Showcases and a tenant’s directory board are attached to the walls.
The offices suites are commodious and well lighted. As in all other rooms in the building, the offices have oregon fittings and flush oregon panelled doors, with walls in cream and white finishes. Two lavatory blocks are provided on the ground floor.
All stairs and landing-lobbies on the remaining floors of the building have a feature which will be welcomed by tenants. Under the floor-coverings is a layer of sponge rubber, which has the comfort of an expensive pile carpet. The stairways nave a 4ft. 6in. black dado, with white wall finish above the dado.
The Lounge Rooms
On each floor is a vestibule to which entrance is gained through double glass doors. On each side of the vestibule entrance is had to the flats through the lounge-room door.
The lounge-rooms differ slightly In each flat, but all are spacious, with modern lighting, and all have built-in sideboards. Portion of the room could be used for dining.
Power points are provided for standard lamps and heaters.
All flats have two good-sized bed-rooms, with plenty of light and ventilation. Like the other rooms of the flats, they have ceilings of sound-proof insulite. This material is carried down the walls, three feet from the celling.
In the hallways, which lead off the lounge rooms, is a telephone for each flat. These phones connect directly with the exchange and each have their own number. On the first floor, how-ever, there Is a tradesman’s switch-board. This enables tradesmen to ring to the occupant of each flat to ascertain what is required before going to the flat.
Off the hallways are built-in linen cupboards, finished in Oregon, with plenty of shelves and storage space.
Each flat has its own modem bath-room. The bath, washbasin and lavatory bowl are in cream porcelain and there Is a 4ft 6in dado of tiles. Each is provided with hot and cold water and a shower. Floors are of terrazzo.
The hot water service is also provided In the kitchens. In the basement is a steam boiler, equipped with a mechanical fuelling system known as the “iron stoker,” the first installation of its kind In Newcastle.
The kitchens have been equipped with labor-saving devices which will attract the housewife. Each has a recessed electric refrigerator, with a tradesman’s service hatch from the stairway. Portion of the kitchen may be used as a dining alcove. The cooking equipment is in a loge, separated from the other part of the kitchen by a wooden screen.
The 10 flats facing Watt-street have balconies. One of the rear flats has a balcony.
On the roof of the building is a communal laundry, which covers the en-tire floor space. The floor is covered with a waterproof material. There are four laundry blocks, each equipped with built-in tubs and an electric washing machine. A special bathroom is provided on the roof. Two balconies look out on to Watt-street and to the rear of the building. The rest of the floor space is equipped with lines for drying clothes.
The entire block has been carried out with good workmanship and with an eye to conserving labor, space and light.
The letting agents are Messrs. Creer and Berkeley, of Wolfe-street, Newcastle.
—The Newcastle Sun, 11/3/1940, p.2
Some recent interior photos (from a real estate website)
Research © Matthew Ward, 2016
In September 2016 someone at Lost Newcastle asked about the old Clyde Hotel, wanting a photo of the building, saying it was later turned into a seaman’s mission. I couldn’t find anything in the usual places like Cultural Collections, State Library, but a Trove story about the building did turn up in Trove (I remembered to search with ‘Illustrations’). The photo is below, and the story from The Newcastle Sun, 10 Sept. 1924 is here: http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/165280609?searchTerm=Clyde+Hotel+carrington&searchLimits=l-illustrated%3Dtrue
I also found an interesting pdf article (unknown year) from Edward (Ted) Coulin about the history of Carrington. On p. 30 he states:
A licence for a third hotel, the “Sailors Home”, was granted to Richard Wilcox in May 1876. This hotel probably was on the western corner of Cowper Street South and Little Young (Lott) Street. The licence transferred to Henry Sharp in 1880 but the annual licence issued to Sharp in 1884 was for the Clyde Hotel which certainly was on that site. There was no further licence issued for a “Sailors Home Hotel”, the change of name possibly because of the opening of the Coutt’s Sailors Home at 88 Scott Street, Newcastle in 1883. In 1925 the “Clyde” became the Carrington Branch Institute of the Newcastle Seamen’s Mission.
— Coulin, Edward (Ted) Coulin, ‘History of Carrington), unknown year.
So, it seems the Clyde Hotel was here:
And a live Googlemaps version:
More information as I find it.
© Matthew Ward, 2016